Saturday, March 13, 2010

Some thrift scores - for me?

I hit an estate sale and a couple of thrift stores today, and managed to come home with a few things for myself! Pretty rare, but they were all things I couldn't pass up - and I only spent like $4, so my conscience is clear. ;)

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby - I have a goal of thrifting all of Nick Hornby's novels - I only have 2, so I have a long way to go. I've really liked all that I have read, so when I saw this one that I didn't have, I snatched it up.

Becoming Jane Austen by Jon Spence - I'm a fairly recent Jane Austen fan, I've read 4 of her 6 major novels, and seen I think 4 movie adaptations so far. (I LOVED the version of Emma that was just shown on PBS - I've watched all 4 hours of it twice!).

I had heard there was a movie version of this biography out, but I haven't seen it - and I'm so happy to have found the book before I did. I was looking and looking for the 2 novels of hers I haven't read - Emma and Northanger Abbey - today, with no luck. But this was a great score, so I am happy. :)

This version of A Little Princess is one that they used to play on PBS a couple times a year when I was growing up. I watched it every time it is on, and I am so happy to have found a copy! VHS is OK with me - my VHS collection is starting to grow, actually, since they are so cheap out at the sales these days...

Now, I need another coffee mug like I need a hole in the head... but I have a small collection of these Westwood Yesteryear coffee mugs, so when I saw this one I had to have it. It's brand new too, which is always a plus!

Hmm... a quick search on eBay just turned up a couple lots for sale - they are already bid up pretty high, I'll have to watch them and see what they end up at! The other two I have are not in the best shape anymore (I use them too much) - I have the green Kasper's and the red Everfresh.

Yesteryear by Westwood Coffee MUGS Cups LOT of 5

WESTWOOD YESTER YEAR SET OF 6 COFFEE MUGS FROM 1996

I want them all! I wonder how many there are all together... that's a research project for another day I guess.... ;)


SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

10 comments:

Becky said...

Whew! Scares me when you go shopping because I fear you will find something to sell that I can't live with out!!! heehee

I have thrifted almost every book written by Morris West (Shoes of the Fisherman fame) I like having a list when I am out and about wandering aimlessly.

Thanks for sharing your great finds. And thank you for not finding anything I "need." ;)

Haute Country Vintage Co. said...

Great score! you can never have too many books or coffee mugs :D

Chickens in the Basement said...

I've read (I mean listened to) that book. It was very funny. If you have other good titles, please recommend!

The cups are fun, too.

Nicholas said...

Ah! I loved that version of The Little Princess! My mom and I used to stay up until all hours of the night to catch it on the Disney Channel - I remember getting all verklempt when injustice after injustice would befall Sara. Such goodness!

Sarah said...

Wow, awesome finds. I am obsessed with vintage logos, and I am obsessed with mugs, so it looks like you found the best of both worlds.

I love finding cool stuff and preserving it. I came across this other blog by a guy owns a rubbish removal company in Ridgewood, Queens, New York. He keeps items he finds on the job and blogs about them. Super cool photos -- http://welovegarbage.wordpress.com.

I live in New York and, although there are thrift stores and vintage shops all over the place, I've never found one where I can hit the jackpot quite like you did with your items posted here. Do you have any suggestions or advice as to where to go in the city?

DragonflyzDreams said...

HI Mitzi,
I just fonud you on the Junk Gypsies and I also just sold a Parkview Mug on Etsy as frstyfrolk in my Vintage Shop!

Fun meeting in so many internet sites, We do get around.
Wishing you a fun day.

DragonzflyDreams is my new crafting blog and shop on Bonanzle! I am also there as frstyfrolk my alter ego with everything.

Smiles, Cyndi

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

My favorite Hornby book. Who else could write a funny and touching book about attempted suicide...

Kayleigh said...

Just came across your blog, love it :)

Check out my blog, let me know what you think!

Kayleigh Ann Style Blog

Love K x

soulsearcher said...

my mom and grandma love thrift stores...i can remember them one time they got my dad a sheer underwear from thrift store...and we were all like "do u even know who owns that"?...my mom didnt really buy it for my dad to wear..she just thought it would be funny to buy that for my dad...lol

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Love the mugs!