Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hocking Hills Antique Barn + Vintage Goodness!

It's official - next Wednesday I will be moving into my brand new space at the Hocking Hills Antique Barn!

You may remember me covering my trip to Hocking Hills last fall - it is a *gorgeous* area here in Ohio that attracts a lot of tourist traffic. It is only about a 40 minute drive from where I live in Columbus, so when I started thinking about trying out selling at a mall, I made sure to call around to all the ones in the Hocking Hills area.

Happily, my favorite one was also the most reasonably priced - so I am taking the plunge!

The Hocking Hills Antique Barn is located right off of Rt. 33 in the Hocking Hills Market complex. There is a large antique mall behind it, as well as a flea market, an awesome retro diner, a country store, and more... It's just the perfect spot for my first venture!

My space actually consists of two spaces - one inside and one on the porch.

The inside space measures about 4.5' wide and 6' deep, so I am going to have two tall bookshelves (2' wide, 9" deep, 5' tall) on the right hand side and two short bookshelves (2' wide, 9' deep, 2.5' tall) on the back wall so I can hang stuff up above them.

The outside space measures about 6' wide and 3.5' deep, so I am getting two large shelves (36" wide, 18" deep, 6' tall!) for that space.

Rent is $115 a month, with a 7% commission. They are open 7 days a week except during the winter months, when they close on Wednesdays (rent is only $100 a month during that time to compensate). Their rent was the lowest I found, and their commission is right in line with what the other malls in the area are charging.

I also really like the owners - Chelsea and Max. I first found Chelsea back when I hung out on Live Journal a lot, she keeps a blog there.

They are so young! From her blog I gather that Chelsea is around 24 years old? Amazing!! I haven't met her in person yet, I have only chatted with her a bit through emails... Max is the one who showed me around the barn and helped me with getting measurements and all that fun stuff. They are both incredibly nice and I am looking forward to partnering with them!

Of course I will be writing about the entire adventure here on the blog - so if you have ever wondered what it would be like to sell in an antique mall, stay tuned - I'll be covering the good, the bad, and the ugly from start to finish! ;)

2 comments:

Cliff Aliperti said...

Best of luck, Mitzi!

This should really make for some interesting and original blog posts. Will be very curious to hear how it goes!

I don't know anything about the pricing on such venues, but that seems to be a very reasonable fee to entry.

Good luck,
Cliff

Erin said...

How exciting! We are hoping to make a weekend trip to that area late spring/ summer, so will definitely add the barn to our agenda!